Filing an insurance claim can be a daunting task. You don’t want to get taken advantage of, you need your insurer to cover all your storm damage repairs, and you certainly don’t need the stress and hassle of haggling over details with an agent who wants to nickle-and-dime you (or worse, deny your claim!). Here is the step-by-step process you’ll need to go through to protect yourself and get your home repaired:
Filing Your Storm Damage Claim
- Keep in mind that your agent is employed by your insurance company, and they’re a business that needs to make money. To ensure that you receive fair coverage for your claim, start of by getting at least one FREE inspection and repair estimate from a reputable contractor. Be aware, any contractor referred by your insurance company may receive incentives to save the insurance company money, at your expense. Never pay for an inspection. These should be provided free of charge.
- Call the “800” number on your insurance policy and ask for the Claims Department.
- Tell the representative that you’d like to file a claim for damage to your roof and home exterior (if applicable).
Remember that the “date of loss” is the day you first noticed the damage, not the date on which the damage occurred.
- If asked what prompted you to file a claim, inform the insurance company that you are a Hurricane Harvey victim, and that you are getting several local contractors to evaluate your property.
- Your insurance carrier will then assign you a claim number and inform you that a field insurance adjuster will be contacting you within 24 to 72 hours to schedule an appointment to inspect your roof.
- The insurance adjuster will then contact you and schedule an appointment. They should providing their name, cell number, and the date and time they’ll be at your residence.
- Finally, contact your contractor and provide them with your appointment information. Ideally, they’ll be out to meet with your insurance adjuster to make sure they make a note of every loose shingle, cracked siding, and water damage spot.
The Pink Armadillo Recommends:
1st Choice Roofing & Construction
Roof repair, roof replacement, and storm damage repair.
Carpet, tile, wood, laminate, vynile, plus blinds and shades.
Wood, carpet, tile, and laminate flooring.
A/C & Heating
These wonderful local companies have served our homes for years, and we know the owners of 1st Choice Roofing and Morrow Mechanical through church. We do not receive financial incentives from either of these companies for this recommendation.